Author in Residence
Each year the Author in Residence program brings an author, poet, or author/illustrator to the HVRSD to spend an extended residency with students. In addition to the author varying from year to year, the program involves students at different grade levels each year as well.
The program is a collaboration between the HVEF and district PTOs, who provide the funding, and school Media Specialist, who work with the district Assembly Committee to select the author and determine each year’s program details. Some years, authors work directly with students in small classroom settings, and other times there are grade level or school assemblies, opportunities for parents to also meet the author, or other forms of hands-on interaction. Authors teach about writing, creativity, and share their personal experiences and knowledge.
The proceeds from the fall Booklovers’ Luncheon are used to fund the HVEF portion of the program.
- 2019-20 – Dan Gutman – All Elementary Schools
- 2019-20 – Jordan Sonneblick – TMS
- 2018-19 – Bruce Coville – All Elementary Schools
- 2018-19 – Emily X.R. Pan – TMS and CHS
- 2017-18 – Janet Wong – All Elementary Schools
- 2017-18 – Jordan Sonneblick – TMS
- 2016-17 – Brian Lies- All HVRSD Schools
- 2015-16 – Lisa Funari-Willever – All Elementary Schools
- 2014-15 – Sarah Weeks – TMS and Elementary Schools
- 2013-14 – Margery Cuyler -- All Elementary Schools
- 2012-13 – Stephen Kellogg and Luray Gross – Elementary Schools
- 2011-12 – Luray Gross – CHS and TMS
- 2010-11 – Dan Gutman – All Elementary schools
- 2009-10 – Judy Freedman – All Elementary schools
- 2008-9 – Luray Gross – CHS and TMS
- 2007-8 – Irene Kelley – All Elementary schools
- 2006-7 – Neil Waldman – All Elementary school
Brian Lies, 2016 Author in Residence
Author in Residence Sarah Weeks
2015 Author in Residence, Lisa Funari-Willever